1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of google maps

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Saladfingers, 26 October 2015.

1. Saladfingers Retired

Message Count:
    From today, Dynmap will be permanently unavailable. The main reason for this is lag; Dynmap works fine when the player count is low, but as soon as we start to get more players online it becomes a real issue. People who use it for claiming purposes should consider '/f map on'.

Some other reasons for removing it are:

1. It's far to easy for players to find all the useful/key areas on the map (structures)
    2. It's a nightmare to render when a map is reset/extended

I realize the maps have been on saladcraft pretty much since it started, and I also know how much everyone loves them. It's a sad day for us all :(
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Panda_Rick Member

Message Count:
    Howcome they lag now? In past times they used to work fine with a lost of players on it.
  3. Saladfingers Retired

Message Count:
    Good question. The fact that we are running the server on lower spec'd hardware doesn't help, but I don't think that is the only reason.
  4. Sinakast Staff

Message Count:
    I wonder if more people were using it to scope out the pregenerated structures on S2, causing the sudden lag? For me, I usually looked at the map once every couple months, just to see how the factions were spread across the map. I'll live just fine without it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. demas234 Member

Message Count:
    Oh noez ; _; ... I can't go anywhere without google maps D:"
  6. Panda_Rick Member

Message Count:
    use apple maps, but try not to drive off a cliff
  7. demas234 Member

Message Count:
    Apple maps is shit. I tried it once and I ended up in a freakin' cave.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gemhunter76 Member

Message Count:
    I am glad the dynmap is off. The survival theme is harmed when ppl can scope out the whole world in a glance. And having factions shown means that ppl can set a home nearby and claim over the base the instant the faction power drops low enough. However, a dynmap that does not show players or faction claims requires some old fashion spycraft to discover changes in terrain.

-Gem
  9. MeddlinMegs Member

Message Count:
    I wish the map worked better and didn't cause lag. I like knowing where my neighbors are or if I even have any neighboring factions.