1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minecraft 1.12.1 with Minecraft Forge, JourneyMap, and OptiFine

Discussion in 'Community Help' started by spacehermit, 7 August 2017.

1. spacehermit Staff

Message Count:
    Since we updated to Minecraft 1.12.1 and people have had some trouble getting Minecraft Forge, JourneyMap, and OptiFine to install, I figured I'd do my best to make a quick installation guide for you.

Here's what you need, and how to do it, plus some issues you might run into and how I went about resolving them for myself. Feel free to comment or add/improve this thread. -spacehermit

First you will want to get a copy of Minecraft 1.12.1 up and running. Be sure it loads correctly and then close it.
    Next you will want to download 3 things.
    1. Minecraft Forge https://files.minecraftforge.net/ version 1.12.1 is up in the top left corner under the "+1.12" link on the page.

2. JourneyMap https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/journeymap/files
    I'm using journeymap-1.10.2-5.4.9b1 which is the latest as of this post.

3. OptiFine https://optifine.net/downloads OptiFine 1.12.1 HD U C5 came out today, and it is working just as well as ever for me. The OptiFine website is down atm, so here is a link to the file on my google drive. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2pF9LphIQufMzZmTnpqTkx5Ymc?usp=sharing

Ok, now that you have those downloaded. I'd recommend that you first launch Minecraft and delete your current Minecraft Forge profile. When I didn't do this I had problems loading the new version of Minecraft Forge even though the installer said it had worked and it had created a new profile. I had to copy my .minecraft folder elsewhere as a backup, then uninstall Minecraft completely and re-install to get past this issue. So if you follow this guide and hit a snag, that might be your best option. Quick note. You shouldn't lose your old JourneyMap world maps if you copy/backup your .minecraft folder. And then when reinstalling Minecraft you will want to make the name of your Multi-player server the exact same as it was before so that JourneyMap knows which map to use on that world. I had named mine slightly different for Saladcraft S1, so then when my map started fresh I had to go into the .minecraft/journeymap/data/mp folder and copy my old maps there and then change the name of the old map folder for Saladcraft to match the new map folder that was made.

With Minecraft 1.12.1 working and Minecraft Forge not listed in your launch options, close Minecraft and then run the Minecraft Forge installer that you downloaded.

I went ahead and started Minecraft then just to be sure that the Forge launch option was there and that Minecraft fully worked. Then I closed it all out again.

Next you want to copy or move the JourneyMap download to the .minecraft/mods folder. Here I also checked that the Minecraft Forge launch option fully worked and loaded. (see above for how to get your old JourneyMap world maps to show up in game if it starts new maps instead of loading the ones you want.)

Ok, now close everything, and run the OptiFine.jar installation. It will create it's own launch option in Minecraft, but that will just be OptiFine and not Minecraft Forge or JourneyMap. But be sure it works. Then close everything.

Now copy that OptiFine.jar file into your .minecraft/mods folder where you already put the JourneyMap.jar

Ok, you really should now be done with the installations. So run Minecraft again, pick the Minecraft Forge launch option. Hopefully it fully loads and you can connect to Saladcraft. You won't see OptiFine in your Mods list, but if look on the startup page of Minecraft Forge, you should see OptiFine listed. And in game you can hit F3 and see OptiFine listed on the right side near the bottom line. Plus now you have back all your glorious OptiFine options like zoom, clear water, dynamic lighting (which lets you carry a torch or light source in your off-hand)

And with JourneyMap working, you can hit "j" and then mess around with a ton of the options and advanced options, and waypoints and such. So experiment and have fun out there.

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment and I hope this helps.
    -spacehermit
    p.s. not reread by this author for spelling, grammar, or punctuation. I want to go back to playing now.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Frogish Member

Message Count:
    • Dumb Dumb x 1